Kagemusha Taiko creates, performs and teaches exciting, original repertoire forging a new style of taiko in England.
For us, taiko is not pre-defined by existing culture, it’s a creative journey. We look to where people are going, not where they have come from. Taiko reaches far beyond the realms of the drum – it comes from the player, and from the culture that surrounds us. Much of what we achieve is down to the community that supports it; audiences, parents’ committee, festival participants, friends, sponsors, volunteers and our directors. Without people, there are just drums.
- Everything we do in taiko is based on 4 principles: attitude, technique, kata and ki.
- We work on a basis of openness and uncompromising integrity, respecting ourselves and each other and behaving in a manner consistent with our taiko principles.
- We believe, and experience shows, that taiko training and performance has a beneficial effect on people’s lives. We continually work for positive outcomes.
- We seek to understand and teach the history and traditions of taiko, while building our own tradition here in the UK.
- Taiko is diverse and heterogeneous. It is creative, not defined, prescribed or limited by any authority.
- We strive for excellence. Equally, we believe that taiko is accessible and we endeavour to include everyone.
Kagemusha Taiko has been honoured by visits from Grand Master Daihachi Oguchi and Osuwa Taiko, Yoshikazu Fujimoto of Kodo, San Jose Taiko, Kenny Endo, Hanayui, and Yoneyama Maruyama Taiko and many UK taiko groups. Workshops and joint concerts with these groups trace an important path in the infinite journey of exploration and celebration that has become Kagemusha Taiko.
Our mission is to enrich people’s lives through the experience of taiko drumming.
Our vision is for a taiko group in every town.
As a not-for-profit organisation, as much money as possible goes back into achieving our mission by teaching and inspiring young people all over the U.K. in association with schools, music services, youth clubs, health services and through our own award-winning youth programme. Established at the end of 1998, in the South-West of England, Kagemusha Taiko is a company limited by guarantee run by an independent Board of Directors.
Company Registered in the UK: 3823438
VAT Number: 737 359 307